Monday, February 25, 2013

COFFEE FILTER SHAMROCKS

For Valentine's Day, my son absolutely LOVED making the coffee filter hearts. (You can see the post here. ) So, I figured I would let him make shamrocks the same way for St. Patrick's Day! Colton loves any excuse to play with markers and I love any excuse to get him to sit still. Not to mention that these shamrocks turned out super cute!

 
 
What You Need:
 
*Coffee filters
*Washable markers (in different shades of green and yellow)
*Dropper or medicine syringe
*Water
*Cookie sheet (I kept an old one just to use for crafting)
*Towel
 
What You Do:
 
First, I gathered up all the materials for the craft so that once Colton was busy working I wouldn't have to run and grab anything. I placed a towel down to protect my table and placed the cookie sheet on top, then I got Colton into his "Big Boy Paint Shirt" as we call it.  I gave him some markers and a coffee filter and he began to color it (and himself). 
 
 

 
 
Once he got several coffee filters colored, I gave him a bowl of water and a dropper.  He immediately remembered what to do from the Valentine's hearts.  He dripped water on the filters and loved watching the colors run together.  He was having so much fun that I didn't want to tell him we were finished. I placed all the filters on paper towels to dry completely.
 
 
 
 
Once, the filters were completely dry, I used a shamrock shape cookie cutter (I found mine at Michael's) to trace the shape onto the filters and cut them out.
 

 
I really think these shamrocks came out cute.  I will use them in a decoration (I will make a separate post soon) and also in St. Patty's Day cards for the family since they love handmade ones from Colton!  And the best part about this activity is that he had fun making them!

No comments:

Post a Comment